Why do people remain silent?
Older Adults being abused often feel trapped and conflicted about asking for help or telling others about what is happening. Some of the reasons for this include:
- They live with the person that behaves abusively and do not know where else they can go.
- Feeling guilty and responsible for the abuse.
- Feeling embarrassed or ashamed.n Feeling protective of and responsible for the person that is mistreating them.
- Feeling that they will not be believed if they tell someone.
- Feeling afraid that the relationship will end and they will be alone.